The Carbone's Story
A Slice of Real Life
It’s been better than a century since Alfonso and Antoinette (Nana) Carbone stepped onto the edge of America in 1913.
Much has changed and nothing has changed. A small Italian grocery on St. Paul’s east side, that served as a bar and as a confection shop during prohibition, has grown to an extended family of Carbone’s Pizzerias.
In 1949, following Alfonso’s death, Nana gathered traditional recipes from the south of Italy and with the help of sons Frankie and Mario, added pizza to the original restaurant in 1954. In 2011, Carbone’s Pizzeria is named the best pizza in the Twin Cities and receives the Diners’ Choice Award by the MPLS St. Paul Magazine.
Over 50-plus years, Carbone's love of family, devotion to hard work and welcoming attitude has never wavered. The legacy of two hopeful, young Italians is still present in every visit, in every exchange and in every bite.